Time gets away from us. Successful marriages need time! Try setting aside time each week, 1-2 hours to just talk. Talk about what’s going well in the relationship. Talk about what needs some work. Have those difficult conversations around finance, intimacy, raising kids, etc. Outlined below is how a typical MCI might look:
- Decide on a locale, probably somewhere away from the home. This could be a walk around the neighborhood or a local trail. If you have kids, it might be loading them up in the back of the minivan (with any manner of distractions) and taking a drive together.
- Start off with a prayer. Invite God into the relationship. Pray for both participants to feel open and honest and to be real.
- Kick off the conversation with ice breakers that get the conversation rolling. This could be ‘3 things I love about you are ….’ or reading a chapter of a good marriage book. It might be reading through your Couple’s Creed or reviewing marriage quotes gathered from your Marriage Experiences.
- Ask the questions. How have WE been doing this week? Any unresolved feelings that we need to work out? Then do the work!!
- Then, go through the list of situations with which most marriages struggle: finances, intimacy, time, raising kids, communication. Ask, How are we doing with …?
- Ensure that everything is resolved before heading home. Work through any hurt feelings. Make sure there is connection.